Monday, August 18, 2008

Life's Tactics

David Letterman said in one of his shows, “There is no other business like show business; but there is another business called accounting.”

When I was six or seven, I used to tell everyone who asked that I wanted to be a doctor someday. During the class Tell-and-Show, there were about ten of us who fancied for a paediatrics career (though all we knew then was that pedias take care of children like us). It was rather stereotype for every schoolgirl or schoolboy to dream of being a doctor or teacher or fireman or pilot once in his or her young and innocent stage of life.

After ten stressful years was a different story. When I was in my last year in grade school, I withdrew my slot in one of the high schools that I took entrance exam in and passed. They had this contract where you would agree to take up just the science-related courses in college. So the next day after I enrolled in them, my mom and dad enrolled me in a different high school.

I visualized that particular crossroad in my life as somehow a progress in maturity and self-knowledge. I had no idea whatsoever of the course that I was planning to take up four years after, but I’m definitely sure it wasn’t going to be a science course. I like science. I like it but there’s nothing for me beyond my liking it. I know I was set for a different path.

As I grew older, I grew up as well. And that was what opened my eyes to the reality that we are struggling for. In this juncture, I was certain I am not taking care of little kids’ illnesses some years gone. I won’t be but of course, somebody else will. By this time, I have developed a certain inclination in math that I want to nourish more and more each day. I thought maybe this special penchant in numbers would help me decide on which profession do I see myself someday. But that was never an easy decision to make. During high school when I was filling out my application forms for various universities, my life was like a bowl of spaghetti where I did not know where it started and where would I end up. Every datum was filled out and organized except for absolutely one thing – my course!

Now, let’s talk business. So, why would thousands of UPCAters and shifters from other colleges and campuses vie for those limited slots in BAA? Is it letter A-it is hitting two birds with a single stone (double major)? Is it letter B-it is the perfect way to challenge your aptitude in taking entrance tests (it is a triple quota course)? Is it letter C-it is by nature spontaneous to you to be good in marketing and accounting (oohh!)? Or is it letter D-all of the above (hey presto!)? Honestly, I never knew any of these until I got here and everybody was talking about it. And as one of those few people to grab this slot, I was indeed overwhelmed by these things. And as an initial reaction, there was a certain pride in myself that I was able to mix a little bit of those A, B, and C.

I took the chance and got the opportunity. But this is more than just for me. As soon as possible, I want to help in the family’s finances in the midst of this tight scenario in the Philippine economy. More so, I want to be a component of that persuasive change in the perception of our market and how money circulates in our country today. I want to advertise and be heard. I want to show my dexterity and be seen as an expert in something. I want to help other people in the matters suitable for my job. I want to be that somebody and that is why I am here.

One of the leading innovators in the business industry, Henry Ford, once quoted, “Someday the ethics of business will be universally recognized, and in that day business will be seen to be the oldest and most useful of all professions.” Hear hear, I strongly agree. The University of the Philippines is indeed motivated to produce individuals who set trends and not just follow them and the College of Business Administration is undeniably ardent to fabricate that zeal.

No comments: